The application consists of 3 forms and design submission. You must complete all of these steps to fully submit and be considered for the program. *Please note, applicants can apply for all 3 design tracks, but will only be admitted in one. If interested, please follow DSRs (see below) for each design track you wish to be considered for. Upload the DSRs in the Slideroom Application.
Color and Material Design
Submit an original mood board (one page). Your board must clearly and effectively communicate a mood through a choice of colors and composition. Your board must demonstrate that you can follow instructions and guidelines.
YOUR BOARD MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
Contact info centered at the bottom of the board. (First+Last Name, Email, Academic Status, Educational Institution or Current Employment)
- Board size: 8.5” x11” (tiled page layouts are ok in order of content requested below) Format: PDF or 300 DPI JPG *
- Build a creative point of view with a color + mood board layout that communicates the content requested below
Content Objective: Shows an understanding of creating color/material + finishes in a storytelling format that showcases knowledge of tactility in design.
CHOOSE ONE CATEGORY TO FOCUS ON:
- Performance/Sport *Do not use footwear designs in your work
- Lifestyle or Emerging Industry
IDENTIFY YOUR CONSUMER + THEIR SPECIFIC CONNECTION TO YOUR STORY
- PERFORMANCE EXAMPLE – Anna Smith, is inspired by art museums in her NY backyard. I created a color + material palette filled with the textures’ colors that surround her. She strives for sustainable fibers and natural dyes in her choices, but won’t sacrifice fashion.
SHOW YOUR DESIGN PROCESS:
- Inspiration images
- CMF swatches
- Research backup
Communicate point of view of the industry that inspired you.
See examples of layouts and content at the following link: http://www.thehangersandlasts.com/cmdivas
Submit one hand-sketch of an original design in black and white or color.
- No computer sketching.
- Multiple views are optional.
See an example of a sketch & layout at the following link: Footwear Submission
Functional Apparel & Accessories Design
Submit the following:
- Head-To-Toe Outfit (male or female) in black/white or color; hand sketch or digital sketch
- The layout must include call-outs of the innovative design features, materials, and construction details
- Note how the design features enhance or protect the athlete or consumer.
- Applicant’s contact info (name + email + phone)
- 8.5” x 11” layout
See examples of sketch & layouts at the following link: https://www.pinterest.com/THEFAASTUDIO/apparel-sketch-examples/
Choose ONE of the following brands:
Select ONE product (footwear, apparel, or accessory) that was released by the brand you chose. Submit your ORIGINAL creative marketing strategy for the product that you chose. Please consider the following question: If your brand was to re-launch this product or continue marketing this product in 2020 what would your campaign be?
You must submit a 3 PAGE PDF with the following information:
- Contact information – Placed on the bottom left corner of each page.
- First and last name, email address, Your country of residence, Academic Status
- Accepted size – letter
- Accepted formatting – PDF only
- Your PDF must verbally and visually communicate the following information:
- What is the brand and product you chose? When was it originally released?
- What is an Opportunity (new or existing) for the brand as it relates to the product you chose. What makes this product different? (Please consider the year that the original product was released and tell us how this product will be relevant in 2020).
- Who is the target audience (consumer)? Who is this product for? You must include a 5-8 sentence consumer narrative with imagery that addresses the following:
- Name, Age, Gender, ethnic background
- Location: Where do they live aka city, state, country?
- Hobbies or Interests
- Occupation or Income
- How do they spend their money?
- What specific brands are in their closet?
- What are 3-5 things that influence your consumer today?
- What are your consumers’ future aspirations?
- Where do you get the product? How much? How many are released?
- How will you get the product to the target audience? What does the product re-launch look like/entail? What is the message behind your campaign?
- What happens for the brand and consumer after the new campaign or product re-launch?
- You must include an image of the product you chose and imagery to convey who the consumer is. Do not overdo it! Imagery is MANDATORY.
- Must showcase relevance and an original point of view.
- Submit a 30-50 second elevator pitch of your marketing strategy. You must upload this to youtube and provide the link to be considered.
See an example marketing strategy HERE
For more practice, download our design templates below:
L.E.A.D. FOOTWEAR DESIGN TEMPLATES
L.E.AD. COLOR DESIGN TEMPLATES
L.E.A.D. APPAREL DESIGN TEMPLATES
L.E.A.D. ACCESSORIES DESIGN TEMPLATES
L.E.A.D. PRODUCT MARCKETING EXAMPLE