About the Footaction No 1 Way Design Program
The Footaction No 1 Way Design Program is a student design competition launching in partnership with PENSOLE Academy and open to all students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
Ten student designers (quarter-finalists) will be selected to participate in a 3-week online mentoring program with Angela Medlin, Founder of Functional Apparel and Accessories (FAAS) at PENSOLE.
Five student designers (semi-finalists) will be selected to participate in a 3-week in person PENSOLE Master Class alongside Angela Medlin and the PENSOLE’s founder – accomplished footwear designer D’Wayne Edwards.
The program will culminate with the top five student designers (finalists) showcasing their designs at a consumer-facing event during February 2020 New York Fashion Week. First through third place winners will be announced, and will receive between $5,000 and $15,000 in prize money. A final winner will have their designs sold at Footaction nationwide.
Footaction x PENSOLE x HBCUs Partnership
Footaction has partnered with PENSOLE, one of the leading footwear and apparel design schools to help the next generation of creative talent bring their visions to the world. PENSOLE is a strategic partner that Foot Locker, Inc. has invested in to fuel the future of design across the athletic-inspired lifestyle category.
The program has partnered with Historically Black Colleges and Universities to shine a spotlight on traditionally underrepresented communities in the design field. No 1 Way champions the different roads to success while creating an open stage for creators to share their story, bridging emerging creatives with the established.
The program is open to all current students enrolled at the 85+ Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) throughout the U.S.
- This program is also open to HBCU students who have graduated in the last 2 years.
- You do not have to be a design or fashion major to apply or participate.
- You must be 18+ years or older.
- If you are currently an NCAA athlete: you must forfeit any prize money or other consideration you may receive as part of any Program.
Restrictions for Participation
- If you are currently employed as a product designer (apparel, accessories, soft goods, or footwear) for any third party, you are restricted from applying.
- If you have more than five (5) years of experience in the fashion industry, in any capacity, you are restricted.
Terms and Conditions
ALL APPLICANTS ARE SUBJECT TO AND GOVERNED BY THE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH ARE LOCATED HERE: No 1 Way Terms and Conditions
By submitting your work for this class, you agree to be bound by and perform your obligations described in the terms & conditions.
For more details about the design program, application process, and deadlines refer to our No 1 Way_FAQ document.